Digital India – Power to empower is the initiative taken by the government of India to skill the country in terms of digital literacy. This program was launched by the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi on July 2 , 2015. Digital India campaign has three basic aims which are:
- Digital Infrastructure.
- Providing services.
- Digital Literacy.
Digital Literacy is the knowledge of using digital devices such as laptops, smartphones, tablets etc. The world today is also known as Digital world because of the influx of technology in every possible aspect of life. This is the age where forget about how to use smartphones, parents are using social media to message their children. Realizing the potential technology has today, Narendra modi launched this amazing campaign to connect rural India to technology.
Digital India with the motto of ‘Power to Empower’ is a program that is focussed on bringing more people to technology and increase digital literacy in India. It aims to achieve this by the following pillars:
- Broadband Highways.
- Universal Access to Mobile Connectivity.
- Information for all.
- Electronics Manufacturing.
- IT for Jobs.
- Early harvest Programmes.
As a part of this program on July 1, 2015 Narendra Modi launched a website known as ‘attendance.gov.in’ to mark the presence of all government employees and it was based Biometric Attendance System. In September Mark Zuckerberg changed his profile picture is support of Digital India.
Teledensity is the number of telephone connections per 100 individuals. Lets take a look at the achievements of Digital India.
- India has achieved a teledensity of 82.93% in urban areas.
- Rural teledensity is 50.63%.
- 2,50,000 Gram panchayats would be connected to Bharat Net.
- Bsnl which was in loss of 8234 crores in 2014 is now operating at a profit of 672 crores.
- Out of 40,000 planned wifi hotspots by BSNL, 2504 hotspots are commissioned.
- 55,669 villages would be connected by 2019.
- 190 million accounts have been opened under jan-dhan yojna.
The plan or the initiative is amazing and we hope that is correctly implemented.