Virat Kohli born in 1988 a year before the God of cricket Sachin Tendulkar made his debut. This is a journey that made him Kohli the King – A powerful Indian cricketer. Virat Kohli is currently the Indian test captain and vice captain in limited over cricket. Virat Kohli rose to fame when Indian U19 team won the world cup in Malaysia under his leadership. Australian Aaron finch said in a quote ‘ Don’t make batting look so easy, it’s embarrassing for other Batsmen ‘. If we say Virat Kohli has hit a purple patch it would be an understatement. He is in the form of his life.
There are few people who can carry their dreams on their shoulders and Kohli literally did that when he carried Sachin Tendulkar after winning the world cup 2011. People say form is temporary but class is permanent but for Virat Kohli both is permanent. Let’s take a look at his career stats.
- He has played in 211 ODI and made 9779 runs at an average of 58.21 with 35 hundreds and 48 fifties.
- In test matches he has scored 6267 runs in 72 test matches with 24 hundreds and 19 fifties.
If we start to write about his IPL performance then it would be really embarrassing for other players so let’s skip that. In IPL leading RCB he has just been breathtaking. Let’s take a look at his international records why he is Kohli the king.
- He has been the player of the tournament and two consecutive T20 World Cup in 2014 and 2016.
- He is the fastest to reach 25 hundreds in ODI.
- He has 32 man of the match awards in test, ODI and T20 matches.
- Virat Kohli the King has the highest score as a captain in test matches which is 235 against England.
- He has been man of the series 7 Times.
- He has the record for fastest century by an Indian in ODI in 52 balls.
- He is the fastest Indian to reach 1000, 4000,5000,6000 and 7000 runs in ODI.
- He has world record for reaching fastest 7000 runs in ODI.
- He is the fastest Indian to reach 10, 15, 20 and 25 centuries.
- He has the record of scoring 3 double hundreds in a year which he has done in 2016.
- He has the world record for reaching fastest 1000 runs in T20.
- He has been the ICC ODI player of the year for 2012.
- He has been awarded the Arjuna award by the government of India.
- For consecutive 5 years from 2010 to 2014 he was the highest run scorer in calendar year in ODI by an Indian cricketer.
- He is the 2nd fastest to reach 24 test centuries in 123 innings behind Don Bradman who did in just 66 innings.
This is just the start of a great journey of Kohli the king who is a powerful Indian cricketer. We just wish him all the best for his future and hope he continues to play for India for many more years and become the greatest Batsmen that ever walked on earth.
pic credit: espncricinfo.