INDIA has the largest population of young people so the competition for any college or a particular job is very tough and hence a lot of entrance exams are conducted in INDIA. In INDIA if you are driving along a highway there are more chances that you will find an Engineering college rather than a Motel. Some of the most popular exams in India are listed below:
- IAS: An Indian administrative service is considered to be the most respected job in INDIA. IAS exam consist of three rounds which is the preliminary, subjective and then the interview. It is considered to be one of the toughest exam in INDIA. Candidates selected in IAS are selected by UPSC which is Union Public Service Commission and hold important position in union and state government and PSUs which is Public Sector Undertaking.
- CAT: Common Admission Test is entrance exam conducted by India Institute of Management (IIM) for admission for post graduation in management. It is a computer based test which consists of four parts which are Quantitative ability, Data interpretation, verbal ability and logical reasoning. The number of people taking this exam has dropped in the last couple of years and from 2011 IITs and IISC also started taking CAT score. Generally the CAT notification is out in august every year and candidates and select their date of exam based on the window provided by the IIMs.
- XAT: Xavier Aptitude test is conducted by XLRI which is Xavier Labour Relations Institute which is based in Jamshedpur in the state of Jharkhand . It is one of the most reputed institutes that offer programmes in business management and there are several other college that take the XAT score. The notification is generally out in October and the exam is conducted in the first week of January every year.
- SNAP: Symbiosis National Aptitude Program is conducted by symbiosis group of institutions and has a similar pattern to a normal MBA aptitude test and is generally conducted in the 2nd week of December every year.
- IIFT: Indian Institute of foreign Trade is a government business school which offers MBA in International Business(IB) and has around 200 seats which makes it one of the toughest exams and it is among the top 10 mba schools in INDIA. It also offers full time PHD programs.
- MAT: Management Aptitude Test is also an MBA entrance exam which is conducted by AIMA and has an additional general awareness section apart from aptitude and is considered relatively easy to above mentioned MBA exams.
- IIT-JEE: Indian Institute of Technology –Joint Entrance Exam is an entrance exam for pursuing Engineering from any of the 15 IITs or BHU and it is conducted by the IITs in a rotational pattern. Last year it was conducted in two phases JEE main and JEE advanced. The eligibility of the exam is scoring 60% marks in the qualifying exam and this year the tentative date is 6th April for JEE mains and 25th may for JEE advanced. Earlier when this exam started in 1960 for the first time it was called as CEE which is common entrance exam and was eventually named as JEE. The exam is conducted in English and Hindi.
- AIEEE: All India Engineering Entrance Examination is also an entrance test for admission to Engineering colleges. It in conducted by CBSE which is Central Board of Secondary Education. It is conducted for 30 NITs i.e. National Institute of Technology and 5 Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs). It is generally conducted in the 2nd half of April. It consists of two papers, the first paper has questions from Physics, Chemistry and mathematics for admission to B.E. or B.tech and the second paper is B.ARCH. This exam is now replaced by JEE mains from 2013 but is still conducted by CBSE.
- IIMC: Indian Institute of Mass Communication is a media college with its main centre in New Delhi. It was inaugurated by late smt. Indira Gandhi in 1965. It is the best Institute of media studies in INDIA. Admission to PG in journalism and other media courses is open and the forms can be downloaded from IIMC official website they are available from 1st week of march to 30th of April and the tentative date for exam is may last or first week of June and interview would be held around last week of June and the session would start from last week of July.
- NIFT: National Institute of fashion technology was set up in 1986 by the government of INDIA. It is a fashion institute that offers dual degree and also offers courses for UG and PG and has recently launched PhD programmes. Last year the registration started from October and exam in held in the month of February and counseling begins in June.
- GMAT: Graduate Management Admission Test is a computer based test which consists of reading, writing, verbal, quantitative and analytical sections for admission to a MBA course. The GMAT score is considered by more than 2100 universities all over the world. The duration for the test is for 3.5 hours and the score card is valid for five years. The test cost around $250 and can be taken at different times of the year.
- GATE: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is conducted every year by IISc and seven IITs. It is a computer based test which tests the subject based knowledge of engineering candidates for admission to M.Tech and PhD. It is a 3 hour test and the score card is valid for two years. The number of students appearing for GATE are increasing every year and last year around 10 lacs people appeared for the exam.
- IBPS BANK PO: Institute of Banking Personnel Selection. It is a mandatory exam for all who want to work for 20 public sector banks or regional rural banks. It has three categories or posts as clerks, specialist officers and Pos. the exam is held every year and for all three categories separately and the score is valid for 1 year.
- AIPMT: All INDIA Pre Medical Test is conducted by Central Board Of Secondary Education (CBSE) every year for admission to MBBS and BDS. The exam is held on the first week of may and consist of 180 questions from Physics, Chemistry and Biology and each correct answer gives you 4 marks while an incorrect answer deducts 1 mark and there are more than 3000 seats including the dental seats.
- AIIMS: All INDIA Institute of Medical Sciences is a group of government funded medical colleges. All the students who aspire to be a Doctor, there first choice is AIIMS. Till 2012 there was only one AIIMS in New Delhi and since 2012 government has setup six more branches in Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Jodhpur, Patna, Raipur, Rishikesh.
CDS: Combines Defense Services Exam is held twice a year and is conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) for admission in Indian Military Academy(IMA), Officers Training Academy(OTA), Indian Naval Academy(INA) and India Air force. It is generally conducted in November and February every year. The exam consists of 3 sections of English, General Knowledge and elementary Mathematics.