Olympics is the biggest sporting event in the world and the first Olympic was held in Athens way back in 776 B.C. History of India at Olympics goes back to 1900 when India just sent one athlete Norman Pritchard who won two silver medals in athletics. India’s next representation to Olympics was held after 20 years in 1920, when 6 people were sent which included two wrestlers and four athletes. It was the time of Dhyanchand and the golden period of Indian Hockey. Indian National Hockey team won 6 consecutive Gold Medals in hockey from 1928 to 1956. Indian National Hockey team has won a total of 11 medals that include 8 Gold, 2 silver and 1 Bronze medal.
After Hockey India has won the most Medals in Shooting. A total of 4 Medals have been won by India which include 1 gold, 2 Silver and 1 Bronze. India’s first Individual Gold was won by Abhinav Bindra at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. Rajyavardhan Singh won a Silver medal at 2004 Athens Olympics. Vijay Kumar won a Silver at 2012 London Olympics. Gagan Narang won a Bronze at 2012 London Olympics.
India has won a total of 26 medals that includes 9 Golds, 6 Silver and 11 Bronze medals. India’s best performance was at London Olympics 2012 when it won a total of 6 medals which had 4 Silver and 2 Bronze.
Here is a list of people of have won Individual medals at the Olympics.
- Norman Pritchard won 2 Silver medals at 1900 Paris Olympics.
- Indian National Hockey team won 6 Gold from 1928 to 1956.
- Khashaba Dadasaheb Jadhav won a Bronze in Wrestling in 1952 Helsinki.
- Indian National Hockey team won a silver in 1960 Rome.
- Indian National Hockey team won a Gold in 1964 Tokyo.
- Indian National hockey team won bronze in 1968 and 1972.
- Indian National Hockey team won a gold in 1980 Moscow.
- Leander Paes won a Bronze in 1996 Atlanta.
- Karanam Malleswari won a bronze in 2000 Sydney.
- Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore won a Silver in 2004 Athens.
- Abhinav Bindra won a Gold in 2008 Beijing.
- Vijendra Singh and Sushil Kumar won a bronze in 2008 in Beijing.
- Indian won a total of six medals at last Olympics and the winners were Mary Kom,Saina Nehwal, Gagan Narang, Yogeshwat Dutt all won bronze and Vijay Kumar and Sushil Kumar won Silver Medals.